|Also known as|
This refers to the maintenance of consumer type air conditioning units as opposed to HVAC units.
We are not aware of any regulatory requirement to service air conditioning units. It does however make good business sense.
Even though air conditioning units are more consumer type devices, they should also be regularly maintained. Often the user guide suggests basic maintenance and every now and again you may want to get the system regularly serviced by a professional.
We recommend you review your asset list as many small offices, or even departments in large organisations, often have air conditioning units. Also, you may lease or own residential properties which may also have airconditioning units
Can't really think of a requirement here to check your suppliers are maintaining their air condition units UNLESS they are using them on your site. If they are, you may also want to make sure they are Tagged and Tested.
We recommend you create your own checklist which lists all your air condition units and the regular tasks to be carried out. Check the user guide for details.
Monthly or Six monthly
Covers regular maintenance items such as cleaning of filters and cleaning of condenser and evaporator coils. Some organisations do it monthly, some six-monthly.
Generally covers more than the simple monthly maintenance and may cover items such as
- Clean the condensing unit coils
- Clean the evaporator coils
- Check the amp draw of the compressor and all components
- Oil the fan motors (if required)
- Check the belts are all tight and well adjusted
- Check the system operating pressures against the manufacturer’s specifications
- Check the system operating temperatures against the manufacturer’s specifications
- Check the refrigerant level
- Check the thermostats and sensors
- Tighten all electrical terminals
- Check all ductwork for air leaks and damage
- Check operation of all zone motors
- Check and test condensate tray, drains and P trap
- Check all safety devices
Some of these checks may requrie a rpofessional and you may decide to have some regular mainatenace only carried out every 2 years. It's up to you.